Monday, April 4, 2011

Black Hat

Wow, now that's some impressive search engine optimization!  I was working on my daily research for this blog and decided to google "relationship advice" to see what sorts of love and sex columns are most popular.  The number one result on Google?  Is My Man in Love.com

Actually, I'm not even sure why I'm providing a link because the last thing I want is to drive traffic to that site.  And, yet, I figure I'm saving you the trouble since you're probably just going to Google it yourself, aren't you?

It's a pretty great name for a website--I'll give them that--but it's not even what you'd expect.  No, it's not a way to find out if your man is cheating by hiring a detective or following a list of guidelines to snoop on him.  It's just a spam site.

Specifically, it's a list of zodiac signs and a description of each man that fits that particular star sign.  This way, you can learn how to please your man, via the stars.  Sounds great, doesn't it?  Good to know that women looking for advice know they have astrology to fall back on.

Result number two in Google is preying on women in the same way.  This site is called Save This Love.com, and features an amazing stock photo of a smiling girl riding piggy back on an equally sappy, happy dude.  Obviously, they've saved their love.  But it's just another spam website with advice stolen from elsewhere on the web.

But I do love how the title, much like "Is My Man in Love" uses a woman's insecurities about her relationship to drive traffic and revenue?  Well done, web developer.

It's not until you get to the third result, which directs traffic to Dr. Phil's relationship advice, that you actually find something legitimate.  Let's take a look at what Dr. Phil has to say tomorrow, shall we?  For now, let me post today's most winning Craigslist ad.

No comments:

Post a Comment