Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Who We Are and What We Do

All right, let me just throw out the basics:  I'm 28 and divorced.  I don't ordinarily start off so plainly, but these details are a big part of who I am--when you marry your first boyfriend and don't experience the dating scene until your mid-twenties, it affects you greatly.  In my case, I think it delayed the cynicism that most women have by the time they are my age.  But it also means that I didn't learn until I was 25 that an invitation to a man's apartment--even at 3:00 in the afternoon--will always lead to sex.

I've been about ten years delayed, marveling at the things that teenagers marvel at and finally bringing myself up to speed.

And I had the absolute joy of bringing myself up to speed in Prague, one of the most romantic cities in the world.  I moved here before my divorce was final, and in the past four years that I've been here, I've fallen in love with this city and fallen in love with several men.

...I've also dated a lot of tools.  Tonight, I re-read an email I sent almost two years ago to a friend back in the States.  The email subject line was "Worst Date Ever" and describes going out with a guy who managed to get another girl's phone number while I sat and watched.  It's that email that inspired the name of this blog.

I'm about to complete my four years in this crazy Prague dating scene, as I'm planning for a big move back to the US.  I want to be closer to my family and maybe start one of my own.  I've chosen to go back to the Midwest and will return in a couple of months.

Eager, though, to make my return, I wondered if I could get a taste for the dating scene by simply perusing the personal ads on Craigslist and what I found was that romance is alive and well in America.  And so, what I was hoping was to tell the story of my crazy Prague dating life and pepper it with the stories of friends, hopefully stories from you, and, yes, those romantic Craigslist ads.  I figure we might learn something from all of this or maybe we'll just keep ourselves entertained.

No comments:

Post a Comment